Using Securities (including Mutual Fund shares) to Donate To SCLA
Gifts of appreciated stock or mutual funds are a great way to give to SCLA. You get an income tax deduction for the full fair market value of securities you have owned more than one year—subject to the usual limitations—and capital gains taxes will be completely avoided on these assets.
How It Works
• You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year directly to SCLA.
• SCLA sells your securities and uses the proceeds to fund our mission activities.
• You receive an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
• You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer or when the stock (fund) is sold.
Giving appreciated stock or mutual fund shares can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.
INSTRUCTIONS for transferring stock or mutual fund shares to SCLA:
To transfer your stock to SCLA you’ll need the following information:
• Your name and address (or that of donor)
• Name of stock (mutual fund) to be transferred (Ticker Symbol if Known)
• # of shares of stock or mutual fund
Instructions For Your Financial Institution
For instructions to give to your broker or your mutual fund company, please send us a note and we will send you the instructions.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Investment Committee Chair
or by USPS: SCLA, P.O. Box 1082, Hayward, Wisconsin 54843